The SpanishDict translation search box is a powerful tool to find translations. In this article we will explain its features.
Types of Searches
The SpanishDict search box adapts to the type of search that you enter. The two main types of searches are:
- Dictionary Searches - Enter a single word and we will search three authoritative dictionaries. We will also search over a million word and verb variations to try to direct you to the proper dictionary entry.
- Phrase and Sentence Searches - Enter a phrase or sentence, and we will show the results from three of the top machine translation engines. These can be helpful for obtaining a general understanding of an idea, but are no substitute from using an authoritative dictionary.
The SpanishDict search box also includes a variety of other interesting search tools:
- Numbers - Enter a number like "245" and we will translate it into English and Spanish.
- Time - Enter a time of day like "5:43pm" and we will translate it into English and Spanish.
- Date - Enter a date in the format "12-23-1984" and we will translate it into English and Spanish.
- Symbols - Enter a symbol like "#" and for many of them we will translate it into English and Spanish.
To supplement the results from any of these searches, you can see results from searching our Phrasebook or our Q & A Answers forum. Just click the link toward the bottom of the page for either to see the results.
Changing the Language of the Result
SpanishDict features an intelligent algorithm that attempts to automatically detect the language that was used in the search and show the proper results. You can always override the default selection by click on the "Spanish to English" tab or the "English to Spanish" tab. On the dictionary page, this only appears if there is actually an entry in the other language.
There are a couple keyboard shortcuts that can make using the search box even easier:
- [ENTER] - Submit a search request
- [SHIFT] + [ENTER] - Add a line break to the search
- [ESC] - Close the auto-suggest box
If you have any feedback on how we can improve our search box, please let us know by click sending us a message. We read and respond to every message we received and we'd love to hear from you.